Update: This position has been filled.
Are you passionate about space exploration and advocacy? The National Space Society is seeking a Volunteer Advocacy Manager to join our policy team. As Advocacy Manager, you will report to the Policy Chair and be responsible for managing our advocate community and transitioning to our new online advocacy platform. You will help us build better relationships with our members and coordinate community action to support our mission and policy goals. You should have strong skills in using online platforms and writing compelling messages. Join us and help shape humanity’s future in space.
Find out more below and apply now. Together, let’s inspire the world to reach for the stars!
Job Title: Volunteer Advocacy Manager
Organization: National Space Society
Reports to: Policy Chair
Position Type: Volunteer
The National Space Society is seeking a motivated and passionate individual to join our team as a Volunteer Advocacy Manager. As the Volunteer Advocacy Manager, you will play a vital role in advancing our mission of promoting space development by building and managing our member-advocate community using our online platform.
The Volunteer Advocacy Manager uses an online platform to leverage the National Space Society members and advocate community to support our mission and our policy positions. The Volunteer Advocacy Manager reports to the Policy Chair, and is guided by the Policy Committee.
- Advocacy platform: The primary responsibility is to manage our online advocacy platform, and leverage its capabilities to build and maintain a community in support of our mission, goals, and priorities.
- Configures and maintains our advocacy platform (SoftEdge), working with the vendor supplying the system. Become the National Space Society expert on this tool, and learn to maximize its capabilities to support our mission.
- Use the advocacy platform to implement National Space Society Political Action Network (PAN) alerts, calling members to action, as directed by the Policy Chair.
- Coordinate PAN alerts with allied organizations as directed by the Policy Chair.
- Based on input from the policy committee, draft PAN alerts and coordinate approval before sending them out.
- Advocacy planning: Collaborate with the Policy Chair and participate in policy committee discussions about advocacy plans, PAN alerts, the advocacy platform, and other activities.
- Events and campaigns: Help to plan and organize advocacy events and campaigns to raise awareness and garner support for National Space Society initiatives.
- Member relationships: Build and nurture strong relationships with our valued member-advocates to promote our mission, priorities, and policies.
- Passion for space: Strong interest in the advancement of space exploration, research, and development, aligned with the goals of the National Space Society.
- Technology aptitude and skills: Familiarity web-based, online community platforms is very helpful. An eagerness to learn about, and become an expert in, managing our platform is critical.
- Excellent communication skills: Ability to craft clear and compelling messages tailored to different audiences.
- Self-directed: The ability to work independently and meet deadlines, and the curiosity and aptitude to learn our technology platform, including reading support materials and interacting with vendor support.
- Meeting participation: Ability to participate in online meetings periodically, at typically 2-3 times per month.
- Work schedule: Both the desire and the ability to work on this activity periodically/intermittently over a period of time. Once up to speed, this position may not require daily or even weekly effort, but will sometimes require rapid, time-critical response.
- Confidentiality: A strong respect for, and understanding of, the need to keep information confidential.
Please note that this position is a volunteer role, and as such, it is unpaid. The Volunteer Advocacy Manager will work remotely and must have access to a computer and reliable internet connection.
Join us in shaping the future of humanity’s journey beyond Earth. Apply now and be a part of a dynamic team dedicated to inspiring the world to reach for the stars!
To apply, send an email to [email protected] with your qualifications and a statement of interest in the position.