By Lynne F. Zielinski
Vice President of Education, National Space Society
National Space Educator Award Chair, National Space Club
The National Space Society is happy to support the National Space Club’s awards program. The National Space Club is currently accepting applications for the National Space Educator Award. The National Space Club established this award with the initial support of Glen P. Wilson and the National Space Society.
The winner of the Space Educator Award will be selected by a committee of the National Space Club and will receive a grant of $1,500, travel expenses, and accommodations to attend the Goddard Memorial Dinner on March 17, 2023 in Washington, DC, a personal plaque of recognition, and a plaque for the teacher’s school.
Eligible applicants must be a U.S. citizen and teach at the high school level, must be involved in teaching space and STEM in and out of the classroom, and must have supported student research in high-altitude, microgravity, sub-orbital, and/or orbital opportunities.
If you would like to be considered further, please supply the following:
- A brief biographical description showing your educational and teacher experience. Particular emphasis should be placed on your involvement in space science teaching both in and out of the classroom (e.g., science fairs, clubs, camps, community projects, etc.).
- At least two and not more than four letters of recommendation from people who know of your work, such as any school system official (school board, principal, science supervisor, etc.), colleague, or community leader, etc. Recommendation letters should be submitted to the email address below.
- One but not more than two letters of support from a student whom you have helped and advised. Please have the student submit the letter to the email address below.
- A short statement (not more than two type-written, double-spaced pages) from you concerning your interest and involvement in space science and STEM teaching.
- It is your responsibility to have the above items sent to me so that I will receive them not later than Wednesday, November 30, 2022. All submitted materials will be evaluated and the awardee will be selected on the basis of the overall effectiveness of the applicant in the teaching and promotion of secondary school space science. For active teachers, prospects of future activities in this area will also be considered.
If you are a former applicant, you are still eligible and may simply indicate that you wish to resubmit your original entry, or you may update and resubmit your application and add any information or letters of recommendation or just indicate that you want to enter it as originally submitted.
The awardee will be selected and notified by December 31, 2022. Please note: The National Space Club has changed the awards eligibility calendar moving deadlines up to the dates listed.
Please email your material to me at [email protected]
I forward to receiving your application.