In order to maintain standing as an NSS chapter, both U.S. and International chapters need to file a report with the National Space Society every year. The 2024 reporting deadline is March 1 for all chapters.
U.S. Chapter Annual Reporting Package (select one):
- NSS-USA-Chapters-Annual-Report-2024.docx (Microsoft Word DOCX format)
- NSS-USA-Chapters-Annual-Report-2024.pdf (Adobe Acrobat PDF format)
World Chapter Annual Reporting Package (select one):
- NSS-World-Chapters-Annual-Report-2024.docx (Microsoft Word DOCX format)
- NSS-World-Chapters-Annual-Report-2024.pdf (Adobe Acrobat PDF format)
All chapter reports must include (per above packages):
- Updated contact information for your chapter.
- Any changes to your chapter bylaws.
- A list of activities for the past year including a description. Please begin each item/activity with the title of the event, the date, location, and approximate number of people in attendance. You can use this activity reporting form throughout the year.
- A chapter membership list
- Any other information chapters wish to regularly report to NSS.
All United States chapter reports must include:
- Financial information covering the previous calendar year.
- Permission for NSS to include chapter under NSS non-profit umbrella.
- Group Exemption Authorization Letter form (page 4 in above package)
- Proof that chapter has filed its Form 990-N (or separate Form 990) with the IRS.
- Forward a copy of the IRS response email or do a screenshot of the confirmation page.
Submit electronic reports by email to: [email protected]. While electronic submission is preferred, if you have to mail your report, contact us at the above email address for instructions.
Filing with the IRS (U.S. Chapters Only)
All U.S. chapters must also file with the IRS in addition to forms submitted directly to NSS above. U.S. chapters that have generated revenues of less than $50,000 may file via the online IRS Form 990-N (so-called “e-Postcard”).
IRS Form 990-N requires the following information from each chapter:
- Chapter name
- Any other names the chapter uses
- Mailing and website addresses
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Name and address of principal officer for the chapter
- Annual tax period
- A statement that the chapter’s gross receipts are normally $50,000 or less
- If applicable, indication that the chapter is going out of business
IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard) is available on the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/990n
Step-by-Step instructions including screen shots are available in this PDF file.
If you have questions about this IRS filing requirement, please email [email protected]. All other questions, or if you are having trouble accessing or downloading the forms that you need, send an email to [email protected] or call Ronnie Lajoie at 256-721-1083 and leave a voice mail. When sending an email please put “NSS Chapter Annual Report” in the Subject Line.